History of St. John's
Origins at Eagle Valley and Fountain City–continuing relationships
In 1870 the Swiss and German pioneers in Eagle Valley organized Emmanuel Evangelical and Reformed church. The congregation initially met in homes. In the late 1870’s while raising funds to build a church, worship services were held in the nearby Eagle Valley Public school. The first church was built and dedicated in 1892, located about 7 miles from Fountain City. A tornado in 1903 destroyed the wood frame church, and two years later was rebuilt using brick construction. Worship in Eagle Valley continued until 1949 when the dwindling congregation joined with St. John’s in Fountain City.
St. John’s Evangelical and Reformed congregation was organized in 1886 in Fountain City, and the church was built the following year. The same pastor served both Eagle Valley and St. John’s. After the Eagle Valley congregation joined St. John’s in 1949, the growing membership and attendance resulted in building a new church in Fountain City in 1952. An educational wing was added to the church in 1968. Major remodeling of the sanctuary and a lift added for accessibility was completed in 1997.
The Church in Eagle Valley was historically preserved and donated to St. John’s in 2003. Friends of Eagle Valley Community Church, an independent ecumenical committee, manages its use and maintains the restoration. As it is now named, this Community Church is available for any church to use for worship services, memorials, or weddings. In 2011 a pavilion with tables was added on the church grounds to accommodate gatherings of church or family.